Brian is a Washington, DC-based data scientist originally from North Carolina. He likes politics, startups, and advanced baseball statistics.
AWS, Google Cloud, Flask, FastAPI, Docker
Certified ScrumMaster, AWS Web Services Cloud Practitioner, AWS Certified Machine Learning - Specialty, AWS Certified Data Analytics - Specialty
Machine Learning Libraries
Pandas, NumPy, Statsmodels, SciKit-Learn, Scipy, NLTK, Gensim, PyMC3, TensorFlow, Keras
Presentation & Visualization
Jupyter, Matplotlib, Bokeh, Plotly Dash, Tableau, Powerpoint, HTML/CSS
Survey sampling methodology, A/B testing, Catalist, SSI, VAN
Technical firm supporting DoD and other federal contracts
Data Scientist May 2020 - present
- Aligned to Kessel Run, a software factory within the US Air Force
- Serve as technical lead for the development of a user analytics platform within the Enterprise AI product portfolio.
Technical consulting and design firm working with DoD and corporate clients
Data Scientist November 2018 - May 2020
- Wrote machine learning and graph data mining algorithms to perform entity resolution and draw insights from military intelligence data, maintaining a custom API also developed for the prototype.
- Led development of data pipeline for military intelligence product prototype to ingest, transform, and build relationships in a graph database as an implementation of a knowledge graph for proprietary data.
- Deployed prototype pipeline as microservices architecture using Docker on a client-owned AWS instance.
Agile technology and consulting firm working in corporate and government sectors
Data Scientist August 2017 - November 2018
- Analyzed changes to the loyalty program of a large hospitality corporation, making recommendations based on a simulation model programmed in Python, working cross-functionally with finance, loyalty, and marketing teams.
- Maintained and updated simulation programming, cutting model run time by 70% while reducing errors by 90%.
- Developed reporting and quality assurance mechanisms to delivery impact to financial and loyalty stakeholders.
- Built application layer using Reactjs, MongoDB, and Flask to serve dashboard that uses deep learning to identify fraud in OIG audits.
Full-time 12-week immersive program that develops statistical, programming, and data communication skills.
Data Science Immersive March - May 2017
- Capstone project culminated in unsupervised natural language processing analysis of 750,000 complaints to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. A classification algorithm correctly identified which of 17 products a consumer’s unstructured text referred to 77% of the time.
- Other projects included a clustering analysis of higher education spending, webscraping salary classification, random forest feature importance assessment of income tax returns on county-level voting patterns in the 2016 election.
NC Coordinated Campaign
Part of DNC effort to elect Hillary Clinton president and other Democrats to federal and statewide offices.
Regional Get Out the Vote Director October – November 2016
- Provided tactical and logistical support for GOTV operations
Kaiser Associates is a boutique strategy consulting firm for Fortune 500 companies in the healthcare, technology, and consumer goods sectors.
Consultant, Business Strategy & Operations November 2014 – October 2016
- Developed market assessments for products and services across industries through primary and secondary research, including: health economics analysis for $300 million medical device market, market entry for a new product category for a consumer goods company, and assessment of a firm’s value proposition for a private equity valuation and acquisition strategy.
- Presented market data on industry standards for operational benchmarks to senior leadership in the healthcare, technology, and consumer goods spaces.
The Advisory Board Company
The Education Advisory Board division provides strategic research and technology to university executives through qualitative research.
Analyst, Strategic Higher Education Research October 2013 – October 2014
Research Associate, Custom Higher Education Research January – October 2013
- Produced original best practice research regarding student retention and graduation for at-risk students, conducting interviews with more than 150 university executives.
- Provided real-time data analysis of organizational trends to more than 120 university partners.
- Authored more than 30 original research reports as recommendations for institutional stakeholders on higher education issues from budget models to minority recruitment and retention.
- Conducted market opportunity analyses to inform program choices for 20+ colleges and universities.
Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research
Global strategic consultancy and political polling firm serving campaigns, non-profits and corporations.
Project Associate, Domestic Political Consulting Division January – December 2012
Research Associate, Operations Management Group September 2010 – December 2011
- Analyzed polling data and drafted messaging strategies for top-tier political candidates, issue campaigns, and campaign committees, contributing language and analyzing data for more than 20 political races in 2012.
- Managed project execution and methodology, negotiated budget expenditures of more than $1 million in qualitative and quantitative research at a net profit of at least $250,000 in 2011.
- Developed innovative sampling methodology for mobile phones, web panels and traditional landlines, improving response rates by 25% among targeted demographics.
Speaking and Presentation
- How and Why to Put Your Jupyter Notebooks into Docker Containers – PyData NYC – November 2019
Data Science Immersive March – May 2017
- Full-time 12-week immersive course in the full life cycle of being a data scientist: from data ingestion, scraping, cleaning, mining to modeling (KNN, decision trees, ensembling, regression, forecasting, neural networks, clustering, Bayesian inference, etc) to deployment (AWS).
- Statistical programming taught in Python; libraries included: Pandas, NumPy, Statsmodels, SciKit-Learn, BeautifulSoup, NLTK, Gensim, PyMC
- Other programming tools included: PostgreSQL, mySQL
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
B.A. Economics, Political Science May 2010
- Minor in Creative Writing
- Certificate in Business Journalism
- Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg; Freiburg, Germany (August – December 2008)
Volunteer & Open Source Activity
- Sanctuary Sheriffs: leading ongoing project to assess law enforcement responsiveness to ICE deportation requests for every local jurisdiction in the United States.
- Daily Kos Presidential vote-by-LD project: contributor to an ongoing effort to map the US presidential vote to each legislative district in the country.